I really wanted to just make a post about the main feature I have been working on, but at this time, it is still currently not working as intended. Here is a video anyway:
After two weeks from the beginning of development, we are at a point where we can start putting together the levels. Much has been achieved in the last week alone that has gotten us to this point. Our artist Angelica has done up a large amount of the art needed already, the level designer Jack Kuskoff has designed all the rooms for the game, our audio professional, Sam McLean has put together a group of people who will be recording the music live and the three programmers, Callan Syratt, Jared Ford and myself have put together the main mechanics of the game.
Our first milestone was today. That was to have all the mechanics functional. That milestone was unfortunately not achieved as we didn’t realise how difficult the mirrors would be to program. Originally, when the mirrors were made without them reflecting from mirror to mirror, it seems doable. It was very simple when we were just casting a line in one direction and checking if it hit anything. However, it became super complicated when we started having it so that the light will bounce off mirror to mirror and for it to work in all directions. Currently, as shown in the video, the light works when it goes to the right, however, for some reason, it doesn’t function correctly when shining to the left. Due to this not being completed, the milestone was not hit. We are hoping to only run one day late. Even though the mirror is not functioning 100% yet, everything else seems to be working.
The other work I completed over the weekend was making a hatch that allows players to pass objects between them, some ghost trail stuff and some base classes for the objects (which were later scrapped… and brought back… and then one was scrapped completely). Here is an example of the ghost trail I created:
I played around with the particle system in unity to create that motion blur. I first set it so that a maximum of 10 particles would appear at once. Then I made it fade from 100% alpha white to 0% alpha black to make that fading out effect. I also made it emit particles frequently to get that ghost effect. Finally, I set the texture to the same as the object it is applied too. We are unsure at the moment if we want to use it or not, but I’m sure I can find a use for it in the future.
Over the next week I want to improve upon the mechanics by giving user feedback, easing things etc.,making sure that mirror and reflecting light works correctly in all scenarios and help out with testing the rooms that will be created. At the moment, a lot of the mechanics are working, but not very appealing. I hope to make them a lot tidier and by the end of the week, have a game that somewhat resembled what we are going for. Also, just because, here is a video of what the game’s art looks like (I took the video from Callan. Thankyou :D)